Friday, August 14, 2009

Happiness is a choice

Yeah, I finally got my magnets that I have been working on for over 6 months! I've actually wanted them for over 10 years and they have arrived. I wanted to use them for a thought for when we visit the YW in our stake. (I had to order a million of them-I don't think I will ever run out :). I got a new camera and don't like it, but this picture will have to do for now. My experience below is one I'm going to share as part of my message to the young women and the reason I went through all the work getting them.


While I was attending college at BYU my roommate had a magnet similar to this on the front door of our apartment. Every morning before I left for the day I would take a couple of seconds to determine how I felt. Since I usually left for class fairly early in the morning most of what determined how I felt was how I had slept, what had happened the day or night before, or what lay ahead of me that day.

My mood would range from exhausted because I stayed up too late studying (or playing), sad or confused because the boy I currently had a crush on did not call or had not noticed me the day before, frustrated or disgusted because my roommates had once again left dirty dishes in the sink when it was their day to do them, or hopeful that I would do well on the paper or exam I had been working on.

I carried on this routine for weeks. One day I realized that whatever I picked for my mood in the morning would generally be my mood for the entire day. If I picked overwhelmed, all day I would think of the things I had to do and wonder how I could possibly get them all done. If I picked lonely or shy I would often choose to sit by myself and was quiet or reserved that day. If I picked happy I would smile and laugh at the events of the day, even if it included falling on the ice in front of a cute guy!

After that realization I decided that no matter how I actually felt in the morning I was only allowed to pick the positive emotions happy and hopeful (occasionally I would also allow myself to feel content or lovestruck:) ).

Your mind is more powerful than you may think. Choose your mood wisely.

12 comments:

Dawn W said...

Good story! Maybe you should be in charge of FHE next time we come home!

Hey - are they lead free? :)

Crystal said...

I remember hearing that story- I like it! Can I be a YW again!? So cute.

Heather said...

Super cute idea, especially to teach YW. I hope I wasn't the roommate who left the dishes in the sink. Aaak! Sorry! If you have extras can I get one from ya? :) You'd think I'd still have mine but I think it got mashed in a move or something. And I totally agree that even as hard as it is, we choose what kind of mood we are in. I really need to remember that these days. Thanks for sharing this!

Andrea said...

Good reminder for me. Thanks!

Susi Daw said...

Great story! I so need one of those for Brianna!

Dawn W said...

See, I'm telling you - you need an eBay store. With a million, you need to sell the extras. I'll help you figure it out, just call me.

keller said...

Oh, great now everyone wants them and you are probably deciding against selling me so many. Great! Don't forget I still want some. Maybe you'd better order more. :)

Black Family said...

so good!

Ashley said...

Thanks for the wonderful thought Charity. You are such a good leader. I'm sad I'm not in YW anymore. Maybe I'll sneak in when you visit our ward.

marcalicious said...

i want one. pretty please!

and i have stories for you. and i'm sure you have stories for me.

Hannah said...

I love it, you are a wise woman!

jodi said...

Love it!

What have you been up to? I keep waiting for you to post some details about this mysterious man in your life.:) I saw your pics on fb & that's about it. What's the story?!