Sunday, March 8, 2009

Achoo!

When people sneeze typical responses from others include: "God bless you", "bless you" or "gesundheit". In Brazil we would say "salude" which is wishing someone good health. Dad has never liked it when people say "bless you" when someone sneezes-who are we to bestow a blessing on some random person and why should someone be blessed for sneezing?

Maybe Dad would be proud that in my class we have created our own lingo when someone sneezes. It started out with {sneeze} "get a kleenx, blow your nose, and put some germ-x on your hands". That is a lot to say when someone sneezes but with snot running down their nose, onto their hands or the table, and them just sitting there dumbfounded, I figured I had to be pretty specific!

Do you realize how many times a day a sick student sneezes? Multiply that by 8 sick kids at the same time and all you would have time for is telling them to get a "kleenx, blow their nose. . ." I hadn't noticed that this statement had been condensed until I sneezed in class the other day. I sneezed and without looking up from his work, our new student, not knowing or having ever heard differently, affectionately yelled out "Germ-X".

And so it is. Forget the bless you, Gesundheit, or salude. Get to the point-you have germs on your hands that I don't want on mine, use some germ-x and take care of it would you.!?

6 comments:

Dawn W said...

I love it - that's a great comment to make to someone. Have you tried it out on a random stranger yet?

BriAnne said...

OH!! I totally miss working in your class. My life is not nearly as entertaining these days. Well....Hunter and Tanner DO give the students a run for their money, but still.....

And I'm definitely just going to start yelling out, "Germ-X" from now on. Definitely more productive.

Crystal said...

Thats great:) I'll have to pass it along to Chris. I am with Dawn-- I want you to try it out on some random stranger and see the reaction you get :)

lissiemarie said...

I just stumbled onto your blog...cute one. How are you doing? Been running lately?

keller said...

Hey it looks like you can see my blog. When you get to my blog and it is just half a page you have to hit the refresh button to get the rest to show. I don't know why it does this and it is rather frustrating, but that is the way it is.

Lindsay said...

I'm stealing this one!