Sunday, November 22, 2009

My new ring

Most of you already know by now, but for those of you who don't. . . Mark gave me a shiny new ring the other day :). I know most of you are hoping this is the proposal story and more information on Mark, but I hate to tell you it is not that blog. That is coming soon, I promise, but I am trying to find the right way to condense the story so in the meantime. . . my ring.
(This is actually a picture of the ring with the band too. Mark still has the band and
I've only been allowed to try on once or twice-mostly just long enough to briefly admire it and snap a picture)

It is kind of funny how quickly one becomes used to something. I feel naked without my ring now and I've only had it for just over a week. It is way too big for me and has this tape/paper blob on the back to keep it from falling off and I take it off to get ready in the morning but then I keep finding myself frantically thinking "ugh where's my ring? Oh there it is." Then literally 10 seconds later the exact same thing again "{gasp} where's my ring? Oh there it is" right where I left it, imagine that :). It feels so safe and comforting to put it back on again.

I find myself waking up in the middle of the night making sure it was still there and smiling when it still is. I then find myself flashing my hand out as if to look at my ring, then realizing that it is too dark to see it I then roll over and go back to sleep. This happens continuously throughout the night. Silly, I know-somehow it all feels like a dream and I get so excited when I realize it is not a dream and I really am engaged to be married to Mark.

I also find it funny how I used to be slightly annoyed with a girl, who was newly engaged, who kept showing her ring. It also bothered me how the first thing that someone did when they found out that a person was engaged was to grab for the girls hand and look at the ring. Unfortunately I find myself being that girl-too quickly showing my ring when I excitedly pronounce "I'm engaged!" and loving when people grab my hand to look at my beautiful ring. (I even showed a member of our stake presidency when we had a YW meeting this week before embarrassingly realizing that he didn't care to see my ring, but by then it was too late. He told me congratulations anyways and then told me what I already knew: that men didn't care about those things-seeing the ring-as much as women did-ahh . . .). I'd much rather be showing off Mark but he often is not with me so the next best thing, I guess, is the ring he gave me.

It is kind of a strange idea to have chosen someone I want to spend the rest of my life with. I have waited my whole life for this and now that it is here is just seems so normal. Does that make any sense? I don't know how to explain it. Being engaged to Mark makes me feel like I'm wearing my favorite pair of socks, curled up with my favorite quilt in my red leather chair. It makes me feel all cozy, safe, happy and at home. I think I'm in love with that boy! :)

16 comments:

Rachel D. said...

Congratulations Charity! Its a beautiful ring!

BriAnne said...

I'm so happy for you! And you're so darn funny! Although, just for the record, I'd be so much more pleased with your "funniness" if you would update with your Mark story.:) Love ya.

jana said...

AAAHAHHHHHHHhhh!!!!!!! Charity that is Awesome! I feel pretty lucky to have met Mark for a brief moment. :)
Man, talk about awkward. I thought I was the only one that was constantly saying the wrong thing to the wrong people.
When is the big day? Man I want to come home for that.
I would suggest the Doug Brinley talks on marriage. I love them. He came to Petersburg 3 times in the 6 months I lived there. But according to him you have been waiting WWWAAAYYYY longer then just your life time to get married. It is understandable to be so excited.
Yeah I can’t wait to hear more about Mark and a picture would help but anything is cool. He is a lucy guy.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop

Sally said...

Congrats Charity! I have found lots of life's great excitements to feel 'normal'. Getting engaged, being married, having kids - to me that's how you know it's right - it just feels normal. Funny story! Hopefully one of these times I'm back in Mattawa you both might be there too...

Stacie said...

I LOVED your description of what it is like when you get engaged! I am so happy for you. It really is amazing how normal it feels when you have found the right man! Your ring is beautiful and I'm excited to hear your story when you have time to post it. Love you and miss you but I couldn't be happier for you!

Andrea said...

I love your stories. I am SO happy for you. I can't wait to hear your engagement story--I'm sure we'd all be happy to read every tiny detail--so don't spend too much time trying to condense it! :) Your ring is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you happy! Marriage is one of the most exciting things. Then having kids is the next which I hope you do! Aaron told me last night how much he enjoyed being a dad and was better then getting married. LOL We love ya and are happy. Mom and dad said hello and were glad for you.

Crystal said...

YEAH!! Here is the blog I was waiting for! (ok.. and the one you haven't posted yet..) I am so happy for you Sister! I totally agree how weird it is that it feels so normal! Sometimes I just look at Chris - in awe that we are married, and even more in awe at how normal and natural it all is. I am so glad you found Mark (or he found you, or you found eachother...)! I love you!!

Dawn W said...

Yippee! (And I can't wait to see it in person - it won't enlarge on your blog.) So happy to have Mark part of our family - can't wait for the wedding!

jodi said...

Charity, congrats again!! Your ring is gorgeous! I love it. I think I felt a lot of the same things about getting engaged & the ring & everything. I love how you described it. Can't wait to hear about how you got engaged!!

Susi Daw said...

Can't tell you enough how excited I am for both of you! And wasn't it worth the wait?!
I still admire my ring. That never gets old. And it probably won't get old for you either.
I WANT to get together. I would love to have a dinner date with you and Mark! CALl ME!!!!

Trina said...

Congratulations. You ring is beautiful!!!I am so happy for you. I went and looked at your pictures on facebook and you and Mark look great together. Do you have a date picked out?

keller said...

Seriously Braden says it the best, "I am glad she has a ring on her finger." We all echo his comments! Wooh hooh!

marcalicious said...

{ Y E E - H A W }
way
to
go
charitylicious!!!!!

i
am
happy
for
u.

:)

Hannah said...

Love the ring and can't wait to hear the details, especially when the big day is!
Isn't it great how easily and comfortably life adjusts once you've chosen the perfect man for you. And the best part is, it only gets better.

Black Family said...

I got goose bumps reading this....I love you Miss Charity and so happy for the sweet blessings that are coming your way!